The Tailhook Educational Foundation
31 January, 2017
Happy New Year! Your Tailhook Educational Foundation (TEF) continues to thrive, and had a banner year in 2016 due to your unmatched generosity. Please accept our heartfelt and sincere thanks for your ever-growing support.
I’d like to use this first 2017 Newsletter to remind us all what a great cause we serve, as well as highlight some of the ways we can reach and impact even more young students with our scholarship awards. As you may know, we opened up our scholarship website application pages last December, and it will close on March 1, 2017. There are three (3) types of scholarships for our applicants:
- High School: For eligible graduating/graduated High School students.
- College: For eligible students currently enrolled in College.
- Enlisted: For eligible Enlisted personnel who desire assistance in furthering their education.
Not surprisingly, we already have hundreds of applicants for our 2017 awards. Our staff answers questions daily on scholarship eligibility. So, allow me to provide a quick refresher. To be eligible for one of our approximately100 annual Tailhook scholarships, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be the son or daughter, grandson or granddaughter of a Naval Aviator (Pilot or Naval Flight Officer or Aircrewman) who served in the U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps or, U.S. Coast Guard, or;
- Be the son or daughter, grandson or granddaughter of someone in our U.S Navy, Marine Corps or Coast Guard who deployed on an Aircraft Carrier as a part of ship’s company or an embarked staff.
Also, to be eligible for a Tailhook scholarship, applicants must:
- Have a High School (or equivalent) degree, and;
- Be in the process of applying to an accredited college or university for an undergraduate degree.
Next let me highlight just a few of the ways donors can continue to contribute, all of these methods remain tax deductible. You can:
- Write us a check.
- Sign up for a one-time, or, for periodic automatic deduction(s) through the GiveDirect program (https://www.givedirect.org).
- Shop on Amazon via the Amazon Smile program which automatically gives a percentage of your purchase to your TEF.
- Use the Combined Federal Campaign Program (CFC) if you are still on Active Duty or in the Reserves.
- Sponsor a HOOK-to-School magazine mailing to the High School, College, ROTC unit, or organization of your choice.
- Donate via one of our several planned giving programs.
We have also had many of the families of our Naval Aviation heroes who recently departed the pattern for the last time opt to have donations made to the TEF in lieu of flowers.
Finally, I’d like to summarize the objectives of the TEF Strategic Plan approved by your Board of Directors for 2017-2025. Your Board voted to increase our TEF support to Naval Aviation legacy students by:
- Maintaining a minimum of 100 scholarships each year / a minimum of $2500 per award.
- Increasing the yield of each perennial scholarship to $2500 per year by increasing perennial scholarship funding to $50K for both existing and new perennial scholarships.
- Growing the number of perennial scholarships:
2020 Goal = 50 @ $50K
2025 Goal = 75 @ $50K
Again, our sincerest thanks for all that you do for Tailhook Naval Aviation. We count on your steadfast support and generosity to enable us to continue to reach these obtainable strategic goals for our scholarship candidates. If you have any questions about scholarship eligibility or ways to donate, or as importantly, if you have any ideas or recommendations for your Board of Directors regarding your Tailhook Educational Foundation, please do not hesitate to contact me personally at email@example.com or 858-254-2275. We are here to serve you.
Rear Admiral, USN (Ret)
Chairman of the Board
Tailhook Educational Foundation